‘Sinfully good chocolates and sweets from around the world’ await in downtown Victoria
Does your sweet tooth yearn for that favourite childhood treat?
From Dutch licorice to the ultimate sour – we’re looking at you, Warheads! – the sweet treats you’ve been missing are as close as Oh Sugar, on Johnston Street, right across from Market Square.
Over the last year, owners Jenn and Keith have worked to source more of the favourites people love and remember.
“We’ve really focused on bringing more variety into the store and expanding our selections,” Jenn says, pointing to the 50+ Jelly Belly flavours alone, including many not readily available in Canada.
What’s in store? Everything from your retro favourites to the newest giant sours – explore in-store or check out the extensive range of products online, including a sugar-free section. “People get so excited when they see something they had as a child or something they haven’t been able to find anywhere else,” Jenn says.
And if you don’t see your go-to treat, ask! “We’re happy to search for it, and if we can find it, we’ll bring it in.”
- Christmas treats: Just in time for the holidays, Oh Sugar offers handmade candy canes in a selection of unique flavours and Christmas-themed saltwater taffy. Oh Sugar is also your chance to up your stocking stuffer game. For the bold, ask about the ‘Toe Of Satan,’ one of the hottest candies on the planet, while the array of “poop-themed” candy will likely elicit a giggle form the youngsters on your list.
- International flavours: Bon bons from the UK, candy from Mexico, chocolate from Italy, Hi-Chew from Japan … wherever your travels have taken you, Oh Sugar likely has a candy for that! And for Dutch licorice fans, a stop here is a must. “We have lots of people who come in just for their licorice fix,” Jenn says.
- Local focus: Of course, Victorians know there’s plenty of amazing treats crafted right here at home, too, so for those who like to keep their purchases local, check out the Island Specialty Sweet fudge, maple bacon and peanut brittle. Yum!
- Go big: Giant sours, gummy pizza and sushi … yes, you never know what you’re going to find at Oh Sugar, but you can bet it will be BIG! And while the three-foot Gummy Worm might not fit in the stocking, you can always wrap it up – and around – the tree!
- From the cold case: Candies and chocolates aren’t the only tempting treats you’ll find on the shelves. Indulge in Victoria’s own Cold Comfort Ice Cream or head upstairs to the cooler where you’ll find old-school favourites like Canada’s Pop Shoppe pop, Tahiti Treat and Scotland’s Irn Bru soda.
Looking for a unique feature for your special event? Ask the Oh Sugar team about a Candy Bar or custom cotton candy orders. In between in-store indulgences, stay up-to-date with all the Oh Sugar happenings on Facebook and Instagram!